Thursday, April 28, 2011

Only if everyone knew how to...


No. Won't do. One more person I know died. Only if...



A lot of people die every year because when in fatal trouble, the people next to them don't know how to react. The willingness to react is also a major problem ( more on that later ). Clueless faces waiting for an ambulance, not doing anything that may actually improve life's chances. In a country where (I'm sorry to use this line here but then...) pizza gets to you faster than an ambulance, it should be mandatory for people to know how to react. Improving ambulance travel times is a good idea but till then WHAT? Here's what I think should be done (*sigh* "Should" be done? Tired of this...) .



People should be taught first aid from a very young age. Of course they do that, you'd say. But then how many of them even remember that there is a first aid kit they can reach out to in case of an emergency? Bah ! How many even have a first aid kit at hand ? Hmmm... let me count... NEXT TO NOTHING, considering the no.of people we have. Ok. So, coming back, students need to be taught and taught seriously about this. The sheer terror that grips me when I think that maybe I'll be needing C.P.R and all I'll be having next to me are a bunch of morons, who're looking at me choking to death, is terrific. Hope you get the feeling too and agree to what I'm proposing. So, coming back again, students should know basic stuff like the back of their hands. Stuff like C.P.R , the Heimlich Maneuver, how to stop bleeding temporarily, blah, blah,... general stuff. (Note to self – no more using the word Stuff). And they should be able to administer these at a moments notice. Which brings me to the next point... Willingness.



The case of Radhika Tanwar is a glaring example. The hospital (hospitals actually, India's best included) was only 10 minutes away and it took awfully more than that to get  there. Asking for first aid would be asking to much, I guess. Why is our country like this? Where is the willingness, love for your fellow human ? If the fear of red tape and the “jhanjat” has grown more than the value of human life, then, God save us.

C.P.R
Heimlich Maneuver
So, apart from a learning how to do it, students need to be taught to DO it for real. The solution that springs to my mind is that they should be put through such situations so often (mock drills, of course) that instead of thinking about it, they do it instinctively. But then again, I have this voice inside me saying - “You're asking to much of this country”. I hope I move out of this phase. It scare the shit out of me. But a bigger question then looms – is ignorance better ? Namaste.

PS - Please do look up first aid , C.P.R and Heimlich Maneuver after reading the article. If not for the countrymen, then at least for your own loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment